I came across this wonderful video of Steinway Artist and Professor of Piano, Dr. John Mortensen. Watch his video if you want his reasoning behind the list below. And, while I don’t think it’s possible to all of these ten things every day, he really makes a good point about composing and improvising. This is something I rarely do. : (
- Listen and study scores.
- Sight read every day. Shoot for 20 minutes a day.
- Read about music. Biographies, histories, etc…
- Go to concerts.
- Record yourself and critique.
- Guard your practice time.
- Practice scales and arpeggios in all keys.
- Improvise and compose all the time.
- Attack your weaknesses.
- Discuss music with other musicians.